Minutes of the RPOA Board Meeting
Monday, May 13, 2018 at 4 Concord Circle.
Board Members Present: Mary Buchanan, Elota Patton, Katie Raver, Mary Jane Daniels, Betsy Kirkpatrick
Non board members present: Troy Manor, Jeanine Christensen (for one topic by phone)
Board Members not Present: Cliff Finley
The meeting was called to order at 7:37 PM.
The board began with 10 minutes of meditation/ contemplative silence.
Discussion, motions, and action items:
1. Continued discussion of entrance road.
Discussed a community meeting to outline the ways forward whether or not we own the road and the details about the board’s recommendation for the suggested legal way forward. Decided to not have a meeting because attendance would likely be low and we do not wish to seek actions that would result in a lawsuit.
Action item: Elota to continue working to complete her historical report of the road, including reviewing all Radiance board minutes.
2. Cedar tree report. We need to discuss and clarify that if you want to take down a privacy screen, you need to talk to neighbors, plant trees, and continue to consider the habitat of the golden creek warbler. The cedar amendment will be discussed and voted on at the general membership meeting in October. The current amendment was only voted on by the board and is only temporarily in place until the next general membership meeting.
3. Incorporation discussion. Because the window for incorporating this year is closed, efforts are continuing but not as urgently.
4. Pool report from Mary. We’ve collected $6500 so far for the year, less than two weeks open. 12 friends of Radiance, 12 Radiance members. Security cameras are being purchased for the pool area.
5. Firewise report from Elota.
Past meeting at Goldenwood West Pavillion went very well. Thanks to everyone who made cookies and participated! 31 guests and 6 of the 7 Firewise team members attended.
Next activity: Tuesday, May 29, 7-8pm, Goldenwood West Pavillion. Laurel and David will do a class.
Sunday, June 3, 9am-noon. Community work day! This is part of the requirement of us becoming a certified Firewise Community. Our theme this year is “Firewise Your Own Yard!”. Leaf raking, roof gutter cleaning, brush clearing, etc all counts and you can log these hours. Email your hours to Elota Patton so she can submit them as part of our record to become a Firewise Community.
6. Communications and Board Minute Posting
Action item: when board meeting minutes are approved, Katie will post minutes at the mailbox, on the Radiance listserv, and on the radiancetx.org website.
7. Delinquent RPOA dues. Several Radiance members have delinquent RPOA dues. Two liens have been filed to secure those past due amounts against properties.
Action: Mary Jane to research more about the RPOA responsibilities on collecting past dues, issuing liens, and moving forward with foreclosure proceedings according to Texas state law.
8. Nominating committee. Tabling.
9. New business.
From Mary: Ann Taylor wrote a letter saying the Ia Creek Estates needs to be included on communications that affect all the neighborhoods. The board concurred.
10. Jeanine wanted to discuss Concord Circle ownership. She attended for this topic only via phone. She asked us to proceed with confidence in asserting that the road belongs to Radiance, and that the Board move forward with plans to put up a gate. The board discussed that the cost of a gate and other factors would be too costly for Radiance, especially given the costs and advice already incurred.
Action Item: Mary to set up a meeting with Ray Whisenant and ask more about ownership of the road.
Next meetings: June 11, July 9, no meeting planned for August, September 10.
Adjourned at 9:01pm.
Version/ Date / Description:
D1 / May 29, 2018 / Draft submitted to board for review and edits.
D2 / May 31, 2018 / Included edits from BK and MJD.
Approved / June 1, 2018 / Approved by all board members.
Submitted by: KR, RPOA Board Secretary