RPOA Board Meeting Minutes – June 11, 2018

Minutes of the RPOA Board Meeting

Monday, June 11, 2018 at 4 Concord Circle.

Board Members Present: Mary Buchanan, Elota Patton, Katie Raver, Mary Jane Daniels, Cliff Finley, Betsy Kirkpatrick

Non board members present:  Troy Manor

Board Members not Present: –

The meeting was called to order at 7:34 PM. 

The board began with 10 minutes of meditation/ contemplative silence.

Discussion, motions, and action items:

  1.  Mary reported on several items regarding entrance road research.

No response from the County Commissioner on unearthing proof of the county’s ownership of the road.

Open Records Requisition on the entrance road for county maintenance:  removed one dead animal and put up one sign, that’s it.

Mary met with the attorney Jason Snell today.  He is ready to take action with filing a Temporary Restraining Order on restricting commercial access to the road when he receives a $10,000 retainer.  This action would be privately funded and would be a stronger case with the RPOA listed as a litigant.

2.  Reviewed the survey results brought by Katie.

35 responses from the 54 possible adult property owners in Radiance.  This was not a formal vote and does not use the “one vote per property” rule used in Radiance formal votes.  It was just a survey.

Do you believe Radiance POA should assert our ownership of the entrance road?

Yes: 54.3%

No: 22.9%

Maybe:  17.1%

I don’t know:  5.7%

Do you believe Radiance POA should deny MBWV commercial access to the entrance road?

Yes: 31.4%

No: 28.6%

Maybe:  22.9%

I don’t know:  17.1%

Are you/ your household willing to agree to help pay for legal fees and/ or a lawsuit if Radiance POA chooses to deny commercial access?

Yes: 31.4%

No: 45.7%

Maybe:  14.3%

I don’t know:  8.6%

Also, many well-reasoned comments were left on the survey and we as a Board need to review and address them.  We need to proceed knowing that our membership has many differing perspectives and opinions and want different types of information and involvement moving forward.

Action Item:  Katie to email survey comments to board.

3.  Cliff reported on a meeting last Friday with attorney Jason Snell and a pending engagement letter. The attorney wouldn’t give us a chance of success and gave no response to our 20-50% chance of winning we were given previously.  We could be fighting against the city, county, and the Blacks.

4.  Board discussion of all entrance road findings up until now and requests for action.  There was discussion on making sure Radiance POA members could vote with access to all information.  There was also discussion about the need to take action quickly.

Cliff made a motion:  The RPOA Board shall call for a special meeting of the Radiance membership to discuss and vote on whether or not we will join with other interested parties in a lawsuit against the Blacks. Seconded: Betsy. Vote: Unanimous all in favor.

The special meeting will be called on Saturday, June 30 at 2pm in the Dome.

Action item:  Mary and Katie to draft notice to membership regarding special meeting and send to all owners.  Target to go out:  June 12.  It must go out by Thursday, June 14 at the latest to hold the meeting on the 30th.

5. Pool report from Mary.  Mary proposed a $100 bonus for Jeanine for May, Elota seconded, and it was approved unanimously.

6.  All other items to be tabled until July.

Planned meetings to prepare for special membership meeting: June 14 and June 26.

Regular meetings: July 9, no meeting planned for August, September 10.

Adjourned at 9:27pm.

Version/ Date / Description:

D1 / June 11, 2018 / Draft submitted to board for review and edits.

APPROVED / June 12, 2018 / Edit from EP, MJD, all board members approved.

Submitted by: KR, RPOA Board Secretary

Posted in Board Minutes.