Minutes of the RPOA Board Meeting
Monday, July 9, 2018 at 4 Concord Circle.
Board Members Present: Mary Buchanan, Elota Patton, Cliff Finely (by phone), Neil Carman, Bill Brock, Lynne Levinson, Troy Manor
Non board members present: Katie Raver, Rebecca Sauceda.
Board Members not Present: —
The meeting was called to order at 7:30 PM.
The meeting began with 10 minutes of meditation/ contemplative silence.
Discussion, motions, and action items:
- The board accepted the resignations of Betsy Kirkpatrick, Katie Raver, Elota Patton (end of meeting) from the board.
- Cliff made a motion: Appoint Bill Brock, Neil Carman, Lynne Levinson to the board. Mary seconded. Unanimous approval.
- The board appointed the following positions: Elota made a motion. Cliff seconded. Unanimous approval.Bill Brock: president (expiring 2020)
Neil Carman: secretary (expiring 2020)
Lynne Levinson: vice president/ parliamentarian (expiring 2019)Troy volunteered to come back on the board to fill the last position. Neil made a motion to accept him on the board, seconded by Bill. Vote: Unanimous approval.Troy Manor: board member (expiring 2018)
- Reviewed the meeting minutes from June 26 and June 30. June 26: Elota: change Kirkpatrick. Bill made a motion to accept the minutes as amended. Neil seconded. All approved unanimously.June 30. Bill made a motion to accept the minutes as amended. Neil seconded. All approved unanimously.Action Item: Katie to send new board the items about the executive session wording
Action Item: Neil to create an agenda template for board meetings
Action item: Katie to help research how to create a firewall for board meeting minutes.
- MBWV update from Cliff and Neil. Cliff is setting up an account to receive donations. Key points:
- Under the current working plan, RPOA members would not be assessed additional dues to cover legal fees. Donations would be voluntary.
- Donors can sign up to cover a percentage (and receive back what’s not used/ be assessed more on a percentage basis if need be) or donate a flat amount.
- Big donors are going to meet with lawyers, decide about donation amounts, and we’ll find out the gap between their donations and what the community needs to raise.
- Cliff is working on the documents for people to sign up for their percentage.
- The POA would be a named party on any legal engagement letters.
- Neil reported on legal research he has completed.
6. Pool report from Mary. 21 non-Radiance people – all time high.
7. The board accepted the resignation of Elota Patton. Key points from Elota:
- Review the current HOA codes and update our bylaws/ covenants
- Start working together openly and together as a full community now, with shared info and goals, before it’s needed.
- Recommend: if you go see a lawyer, prepare really well, keep meeting moving, time is money when talking to lawyers.
- RPOA should budget for legal/ audit emergencies.
- Legalities and ethics: it’s important to behave legally and ethically.
- Offer from Elota to conduct a communication workshop – for Board or entire community – for working across differences to become a more effective team and capitalize on strengths.
8. Discussed sample payment plan and letter for delinquent HOA dues.
Action Item: Mary to sent to board for review.
9. Discussed revising bylaws to comply with updated Texas codes.
Action item: Elota to ask if bylaws need to be reviewed by a lawyer before voting on.
Action item: Lynne to get the POA code book from Elota to begin work on bylaws to find out what’s possible before October meeting.
Action Item: Mary B to order 2 copies of the updated POA code books.
10. Motion: accept Debra Morris to be on the ABC. Bill motion, Neil second, all agreed unanimously.
Action Item: Bill to notify Debra and she can connect with Lynne for details.
11. Due to board resignations, there need to be more signers on the Chase account.
Action item: Mary to work with new members to get people on the account.
12. Regular meetings: August 20 (added date), September 10.
Adjourned at 9:02pm.
Version/ Date / Description:
D1 / July 10, 2018 / Draft submitted to board for review and edits.
APPR / July 11, 2018 Edits from LL, NC, EP. Approved.
Submitted by: KR